Fall Deep Cleaning Checklist
Fall cleaning can help get your home ready for the winter cold and flu season (and keep the nasty C-word virus from spreading). A clean home keeps the germs out and keeps you healthy!
So how do you clean in fall and get your home ready for winter?
And the answer is different for everyone but typically, it means doing things like:
Decluttering and getting rid of things you no longer want or need.
Packing away the summer attire and bringing out all things warm.
Making sure that your home is winterized and everything is working properly (think of rainy days or snow days where you will be stuck inside all day).
Fall is a great time to do these kinds of things especially before the busy holiday season begins creeping up.
Below is a checklist of cleaning tasks to consider for your fall deep clean:
In the Kitchen & Bathroom
- Clean your kitchen grout.
- Clean your bathroom grout.
- Clean your refrigerator coils, if applicable.
- Clean under your refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of your dishwasher.
- Clean and condition the wood of your bathroom and kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your oven.
- Wash and disinfect all the garbage cans.
- Seal and/or polish granite countertops.
In the Bedroom (and Closet)
- Refresh bedding that isn’t regularly washed (comforters, pillows, etc.).
- Vacuum and flip mattresses.
- Put cold-weather linens on the beds.
- Switch out seasonal clothes.
- In the Living Areas
- Vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Vacuum under your upholstered furniture cushions.
- Polish your wood furniture.
- Wash artificial plants.
- Dust living plants’ leaves.
- Wipe down your screens (TV, computer, etc.).
- Clean all keyboards and remote controls.
All Around the House
- Wash your walls.
- Wash your windows, window sills, and all the window groves.
- Clean your washer and dryer.
- Clean your doorknobs, doors, and lightswitch plates.
- Vacuum under all beds, couches, and other furniture.
- Dust the tops of doors and door frames.
- Spot clean carpets and rugs.
- Clean floors underneath area rugs.
- Wash curtains or have them cleaned.
- Remove and rinse your window screens.
- Wash your washable vacuum cleaner filters.
- Clean your baseboards.
Tackle Some Seasonal Maintenance
- Change your HVAC air filter.
- Replace your fire alarm batteries.
- Condition your leather furniture.
- Dust your ceiling fans and set them to turn so air circulates upward.
- Sweep the chimney and/or have it checked.
- Clean out rain gutters.
- Check weather stripping and replace as necessary.